Re: [TowerTalk] What is a single point ground (again)

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What is a single point ground (again)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:14:03 -0500
Hi Pete,

Yes you have it right. It of course is not the ideal setup but sometimes we
can not do any better. Polyphaser makes such a box. I can't remember the
designation but it is basically an extension cord with an outlet box on one
end. It has power protection devices in it and it is designed to mount on
the SPG panel. As I remember it has gas tubes in it. I assume that you have
all other lines bonded to the SPG panel.

Being on the second floor has its problem with getting the SPG panel
grounded to the ground  system because of the distance to earth. You will
have a rather high impedance in the ground lead from the panel because of
its length.

It may be better to place the SPG panel at ground level and then run the
lines up to the second floor after they enter the house. But then you have
the problem of the possibility of induced currents, from nearby strikes,
into the portion of the lines between the SPG panel and the equipment. But
you can obtain a much better connection to earth with the panel mounted near
ground level.

Either way you at least have ALL lines, including power, referenced to one
point this way with near zero impedance/resistance between all at that
point.

73
Gary  K4FMX