[TowerTalk] [Fwd: Re: Power Distribution]

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Re: Power Distribution]
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:54:42 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power Distribution
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:52:46 -0700
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>

"NO good reason to have 3-phase power...?" I believe my 72,000 BTUs of
air conditioning would be more efficient if the Freon compressors were
operated on 3-phase power. If 3-phase power were installed at the time
of construction, the incremental cost would be minor.

In my case, I have three VFD controllers generating 3-phase power for
machine tools in my home shop. I would not need these if my home were
supplied 3-phase power. I have underground electrical service and on my
short street there are two underground transformers supplied with
3-phase power (9.6KV, I think). It would have been simple to provide
3-phase underground drops to each home when originally built.

I have a friend in The Netherlands who tells me that his historic home
has always had 3-phase power and that every motor-driven appliance
operates on that 3-phase system, including even his electric garage door
opener! I find that to be quite progressive.

Just because you *can* operate capacitor start/run induction motors on
single phase does not mean that is the best way.

Larry W6FUB

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)