Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Re: Power Distribution]

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Re: Power Distribution]
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 09:05:43 -0400

On 8/8/2010 3:00 AM, Brahmangou@aol.com wrote:
> Check the Seer ratings on the 3 phase eqpt vs single phase before making so
>   bold a statement.

I think you will find that this is most likely due to equipment design
rather than the ability to run on 3 phase.
At work we only used single phase on the "small stuff".
3 phase motors are just plain more efficient than single phase for the
same HP.  With very small motors the difference becomes less and small
single phase motors are cheap due to market volume.
"I would guess" that as 3 phase powered small airconditioners are
*relatively* rare here in the US compared to single phase that changes
in implementing new designs may lag the implementation of new designs
for single phase, as I can see no reason that the efficiency (seer
rating) of a single phase airconditioner would be better/higher than a 3
phase.  The seer rating is determined almost wholly by the laws of
thermodynamics.

73

Roger (K8RI)