Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Satellite Internet

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Satellite Internet
From: Adam Shirley WJ4X <wj4x@amsat.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:42:17 -0400
The key to correcting your Wildblue in the rain is to install a solo cup
to the TRIA (feedhorn) to make a sort of rain shield. The angle the TRIA
takes seems to collect water. The other trick is to coat the dish with
cooking spray to help the water run off.

I had HughesNet first, then ditched it for Wildblue which supposedly was
better. I was disappointed.

I actually liked Hughes with a little better gear which was an Andrew 1
meter dish and the 2 watt transmit. It was 10x better, but talking the
tech into using my radio equipment was quite complicated. The nice thing
is that now that they do most commercial installs with this stuff it's
most likely easier to acquire it.

Wildblue had extreme problems with rain fade, latency, and equipment
failure.

Hughes was a customer service nightmare. If you get Hughes, remove that
plastic cover over the feedhorn ASAP, they collect water.

Pick your poison.

I was glad to ditch my Wildblue for DSL.

73 and good luck!

 -Adam
  WJ4X