Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Satellite Internet

To: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Satellite Internet
From: Charles Coldwell <coldwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:19:21 -0400
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com> wrote:
> DBS systems (for TV) use frequencies around 12GHz. I think they are
> using higher freqs now with the new Ka birds for HD.
>
> Wildblue internet transmits 29.5 to 30 GHz, receives 19.7 to 20.2 GHz

I think the water-vapor absorption line is at 22.2 GHz, and that this
also marks the boundary between Ku and Ka (under and above, get it?).
So their downlink is a bit close, but I don't know how broad the line
is, or what the mechanisms for broadening it are (Doppler in high
winds?).

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F