Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )

To: Bill NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:56:20 -0700 (PDT)
Not all oil is created equal.  Use actual penetrating oil.  WD40 is great, but
don't use it to free nuts.  After you spray, tap it with a hammer.  If you can
do this off on on for a day it would be better.  (Don't have to actually hit
the
set screw)

If you use a torch you would ruin the bearing.  (Heating the screw would loosen
it.)

I f you want to try to drill it out there are reverse drills that may catch and
back the screw out, if you want to save the bearing.

What is the cost of the bearing and what is your time worth?

Mike
AD6AA