Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )

To: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:07:51 -0400
Avoid the use of WD40 for outdoor lubrication altogether. WD40 is a
mixture of paraffin and machine oil with a binder - it was invented in
the 1940's as a anti-corrosive preservative. It was "state of the art"
then, but there are better snake oils for lubrication and corrosion
protection today.

The problem with WD40 is that the paraffin builds up over time as the
oil evaporates and you're left with a gunky mess that HOLDS WATER,
causing corrosion. Have you ever noticed that surfaces sprayed with it
get sticky over time? Best to leave WD40 for grandma and her sewing
machine.

Heat - yes, you can destroy your bearing with a torch - you can turn
it into a puddle of molten metal with enough heat - but judicious use,
using only enough to free the screw, probably won't destroy the piece,
and is the only way to free the screw if penetrating oils don't do the
job.

As I wrote, be careful!

73,

Mickey, N4MB

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Not all oil is created equal.  Use actual penetrating oil.  WD40 is great, but
> don't use it to free nuts.  After you spray, tap it with a hammer.  If you can
> do this off on on for a day it would be better.  (Don't have to actually hit
> the
> set screw)
>
> If you use a torch you would ruin the bearing.  (Heating the screw would
> loosen
> it.)
>
> I f you want to try to drill it out there are reverse drills that may catch
> and
> back the screw out, if you want to save the bearing.
>
> What is the cost of the bearing and what is your time worth?
>

> Mike
> AD6AA

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve
me, and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.