Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 13:07:32 -0400

On 9/3/2010 11:25 AM, Jim Hargrave wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Looking at your pictures, it seems that you should be able to add a sprocket
> to the chain drive in your limit switch area.
> I had to do a similar thing to mine a few years back.
>
> My original controller used selsyns until one was creamed by a voltage surge
> caused by a huge static burst in a storm.
> I could not find a matching selsyn at the time so I went to the conventional
> controller approach. I now use a modified CDE controller with a RotorEZ
> controller interface to control relays mounted at the base of the tower. The
> RotorEZ controller module provides excellent interface to my Logger32
> logging program.
>
> My Prop Pitch still has the taper gear attached to the top of the gearbox. I
> hand cut a matching gear to drive a 500 ohm potentiometer. I made this from
> 1/4 in. phenolic flat stock. I had an aluminum gear (Home brewed) that had
> the same number of teeth as the prop pitch Gearbox to drive the selsyn, but
> when I cut the phenolic gear I increased the size so I could get a rotation
> of 330 degrees on the potentiometer to 360 degrees on the rotor. I then
> mounted the pot to the gear using a spring arm in case of overrun or limit
> switch failure. This has worked for several years without any problems.
Just as a suggestion, if using a pot like this, why not use a 3 turn or
even 10- turn and calibrate a section to use for the 1 or 1 1/2 turns
made by the rotator. The old Prosistel PST-61 used this scheme and it
works very well. With the rotator only able to make 1 to 1 1/2 turns and
using 1 to 1 1/2 turns on a 3 turn or 10 turn pot gives a bit of safety
margin.

For gears in the past I've used bicycle racing gears (Chain Ring) and SS
chain
Matter a fact I have several spare chin rings and SS chains.

73

Roger (K8RI)