[TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower
From: "Ronnie Carter" <towerbob@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:18:22 -0500
I always free climb, then snap the belt when I get where I'm going.  Been doing
it for 20 years or more.  There's just one rule -- hold on tight.  But I'm 54
now, and suspect that in a few years I might start hooking up all the way.

In my opinion, if you're not overweight and in good shape, working alone with
no one above you to drop a tool, it's fine.  But if someone else disagrees
that's cool.  No need for the "idiot" flames.

By the way, what is way more impressive than the fellow climbing that tower is
what the guys who built it had to deal with.  I can only imagine trying to
lower those sections into place and bolting them together with the wind blowing
about 30-50 mph.

How many times have you guys started a 300' climb with winds almost calm, only
to be in what seems like a whole gale when you reach the top?