Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, "'Blake Bowers'" <bbowers@mozarks.com>, "'jimlux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "'Mike'" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, "'Rik van Riel'" <riel@surriel.com>, "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "'Ronnie Carter'" <towerbob@hotmail.com>, "'WA3GIN'" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:01:17 -0400
I saw a Youtube video where a couple of lineman are on a power pole trying
to get some suicidal fool off the pole. Anyway they were told that the power
was off. It wasn't. One wireman took a direct hit and fell.  You would
figure that he was dead but his fall arrestor stopped him and he hung there
unconscious. They got him down and he recovered from the shock as well.
Amazing but the fall arrestor certainly saved his life.

I have a loop and a fall arrestor attached when I climb and ascend the
tower. I now have two loops so that I can loop above and below obstacles
such as guy brackets. I also have the fall arrestor clipped on too.

It only takes one mistake and it's all over.

Mark N1UK