Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower
From: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2010 18:16:59 -0700

Jim

re: para 3

A fall arrest cable or rail prevents the climber from falling about "zero"
inches.. actual distance depends on how tight your harness is on...

I used to be a paratrooper so my harness is pretty tight...if you understand
the term "straight leg" referring to a non Airborne soldier you will know what
I mean ...

The steel cable or rail is fitted with a slider that moves up freely but
provides a postive dead stop brake in the event of sudden downward movement....

Please check either the Saliwa or Trylon sites for a complete description of
these devices...foolproof and safe....

I install these on all of the commercial towers I build (mandatory by law in
Canada)...

As for Ham type tin towers ( Delhi, Trylon Titan and Rohn Bx) they can be
installed but the towers do not provide a 5000 lb anchor point as per the
device ratings less the point at which the splice bolts attach to the concrete
footing....

In other words the tower will break before the fall arrest system does... kind
of like the diode blowing to protect the fuse...

All said .. fall arrest cables and rails are the industry standard here... I
use them every day...

Lastly..I usually check the slider and cable at about the 3 foot level prior to
a climb.. a simulated fall...simply let the slider take my weight and then tell
my ground guy I'll be back !!!

Doug

VE6PR