Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting Buried Guy Anchors

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting Buried Guy Anchors
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:13:50 -0400
 >Would it be a good idea to protect against this by applying lime at regular
 >intervals around the guy anchor to increase the
soil ph?

Absolutely not. Increasing the pH could make the problem worse. The issue is
that while there is sufficient galvanizing applied to tower components to
protect them in air, this amount of zinc can be quickly used up when buried
underground.

I would direct you to review an article in the current issue of QST, "Is Your
Tower Still Safe", by yours truly. It will explain the problem; how to do an
inspection, and what to do to control corrosion after the zinc is gone.

73,

Tony, K1KP