Re: [TowerTalk] guy cable use

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w0bvtrich@centurylink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guy cable use
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:59:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/2010 5:03:42 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Can I use a non EHS cable to guy my Rohn tower.  I  purchased 3/16" steel
galvanized cable; Cooper Campbell #7000627 from a  Lowe's hardware
store.  It may be similar to aircraft cable, not  sure.  Can I use this
cable to guy my Rohn 25G tower to 70 feet.   Note: I do not plan to use
anything but wire antennas at this  time.

    You can use anything that has the same rating as  EHS - that is, 4000
pound breaking strength. While there are a number of  different grades of
steel wire rope, the stuff you bought at Lowe's is  probably close if not
equal.

    While I'm a big promoter of the LXC Prime  Directive to "DO what the
manufacturer says", for your relatively modest  installation in a low
windspeed area (Boone County is a 70 MPH windspeed zone  - the lowest rating),
you'll be just fine. Use 3 cable clamps per termination,  tension them
appropriately (400#) and you'll be good to go.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams