Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery hardline

To: TexasRF@aol.com, k0rc@citlink.net, guy_molinari@hotmail.com, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery hardline
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:04:31 -0700
It is likely 75ohm if it is CATV distribution coax, so also test with
that value resistor.  There is also a lot of 50ohm cell base station
hardline in the market.  I picked up N connectors for hardline I have on
ebay for $10 ea,  My cable is Commscope labeled FXL-540 and is smooth Al
shield and Cu clad Al smooth center conductor, 50 ohm, and uses Andrew
540EZNM N Male connector for 1/2" hardline, check the Andrew specs to
see if these fit your cable.

Another way to test cable Z is to use a pulse generator and scope and a
variable resistor (not wirewound) at the far end.  At about 3 nsec per
foot round trip, the reflection can be seen at the drive end if the
termination R is wrong. Adjust the R for no/least reflection and then
measure it with your ohm-meter, that is the cable Z.  You don't need to
know the length or cut any off.  This method also works for open wire
feeder, flat(3M)cables, twisted pairs, etc. but the line shouldn't be
coiled, otherwise adjacent layers will influence the Z.

Grant,  KZ1W.