Re: [TowerTalk] OT ?? - Manual tuners

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT ?? - Manual tuners
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:37:48 -0600
Hi Jim --
I think the rule of thumb is, if you have a choice of tuning
configurations, the one with more capacity and less inductance is
the preferred one.  Seems like I also remember reading that if
there's a choice on where to add the capacity, the preferred
choice is on the output (antenna side).

I've got some good information on the Dentron MT-3000A on my
website including a redrawn schematic with values that is much
more readable than the original from Dentron, oh so many years
ago.  The URL is:

<http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Assorted%20Ham%20Stuff/De
ntron%20MT-3000A%20Tuner/Dentron_MT3000A_tuner.htm>

and you may need to paste the pieces of the URL together as it
spans multiple lines.  If all else fails, use the URL in my signature
at the bottom and choose the 3000A link on the home page
menu.

73,
Jim - K5LAD

> Settings, Not brand comparisons; (Dentron MT3000A, but that is not the
> question)
>
> If I am able to match my exciter to the antenna via a setting of ---
>
> #1.  "0-J-0" (Both dials fully to the left)
> and also at
> #2.  "35-K-50" (Left dials set at 35 (of 100 on top half of dial) and right
> dial set at 50)
>
> with virtually the same (each completely acceptable) SWR resulting,
>
> WHICH is the most efficient ????
>
> A: Which should I be trying to match for the highest efficiency, using the
> most capacitance or least capacitance?
> B: Does the inductor setting have more effect on efficiency than the
> capacitance?
>
> Thanks es 73, de Jim KG0KP

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam Levenson
My Web Page - http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad