Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:41:30 -0500
Steve,

I just ran the numbers referred to by Owen, only I used RG-58 instead of
LMR-400:

http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/VSWR/aldv.htm

Since the QST author did not specify the coax type, the outcome for RG-58 is
closer to the mid-point of their respective results.  Here's the loss I get
with RG-58:

40 ft of RG-58:  9.6 dB
300 ft of Wireman  450 ohm windowed ladder line:  3.5 dB

Difference:  6.1 dB
VK1OD's difference:  2.4 dB (I get the same result with LMR-400)
QST author's difference:  10.6 dB

I suspect the author got that result from: (1) relying on the graph; (2)
using figures from low-loss non-windowed or tubular 450 ohm line where loss
is less; and (3) perhaps RG-58 was used for the QST comparison rather than a
low-loss coax type like LMR-400.

Just for fun, I then ran the calculation with 300 ft of RG-58 for an
apples-to-apples comparison of line length for a long run.  Total loss is a
whopping 19.1 dB.  In fact, the return loss is so high, the VSWR at the
transmitter is 1.66:1.  With that much loss, darn near anything you do to
the end of the line would probably keep the SWR under 2:1.  With LMR-400,
300 ft of loss is 13.5 dB versus 3.5 dB for somewhat lossy windowed line.

Paul, W9AC