Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tuners and power rating
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:26:06 +0000
Paul,

The coax used for comparison in the QST article was belden 8214; matched
loss is quoted as 1.64dB/100m @ 10MHz. Belden say the cable is RG-8/U type.

As I mentioned earlier, the ARRL assumptions about ladderline loss are
very optimistic. It's easy to do a calculation based on the RF
resistance of the gauge of wire used in ladderline to show that to get
their loss figures the line would need to be constructed with something
thicker than #12 gauge solid copper. If you take a more typical figure
of #18 gauge you find the losses are *double* the ARRL figures.

That leads to the mischievous thought that whoever did the ARRL
calculations worked out the loss for one wire, but forgot that there are
two wires making up the ladderline ;) The error is present in the
Antenna Book and the associated software.

Here's the simple maths based on the ARRL TLW figures for " 450-Ohm
Window Ladder Line":

Assumed wire size = #18 gauge
Quoted Zo = 405 Ohms
RF resistance of 100ft of #18 copper wire at 30MHz = 14.75 Ohms
Assume 1A flows into the matched line. Then Pin = 405W, and the power
lost in the line is 2*14.75 = 29.5W
So line loss = 10*log (375.5/405) = 0.328dB

Compare that with the ARRL TLW figure of 0.152dB/100ft at 30MHz

73,
Steve G3TXQ