Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:26:30 -0500

On 12/23/2010 7:18 PM, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> All CW contests are changed forever by Skimmers...
> The only workable rule is to have two categories (like we do with power)
>
> **** insert into the contest rules ***************************************
> Decoding of Morse Code Elements transmitted by other stations in the contest
> and the use of Skimmer like devices.
>
> X Category: Use of electronic device(s) that decodes or extracts the
> information contained in the Morse Code Elements transmitted by other
> stations, including the call sign, and presents that decoded information to
> the operator(s) in any visually readable or spoken form or automatically
> inserts that decoded information into the electronic log is NOT ALLOWED...
> The operator(s) IS required to mentally decode all Morse Code Elements
> transmitted by other stations.
I can still do the decoding, but I defy any one to read it if I have to
write it down. <:-))
> Y Category:  Use of electronic device(s) that decodes or extracts the
> information contained in the Morse Code Elements transmitted by other
> stations, including the call sign, and presents that decoded information to
> the operator(s) in any visually readable or spoken form or automatically
> inserts that decoded information into the electronic log IS ALLOWED... The
> operator(s) is NOT required to mentally decode all Morse Code Elements
> transmitted by other stations.

What about a category for us poor folk who can no longer write legibly?
I have to put a magazine under the sheet I write on and then carefully
print. <:-))

OTOH I've not entered a contest in years, although I have operated in a
number of them.

73 & and can still type...more or less

Roger (K8RI)