Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 21:16:56 -0500
How about making it even more simple?

"X category: Use of any technology to reduce operator effort,
including but not limited to computer logging, automatic
transmission (memory keyers, digital voice keyers, etc.),
computerized dupe checking, CW decoding (of any bandwidth),
multiple transceivers, spectrum analyzers/panadapters, whether
integrated into the transceiver or not, etc. *IS NOT ALLOWED*"

"Y category: Use of technology to reduce operator effort
or increase efficiency is specifically permitted provided
that *all inputs* are provided exclusively by the station
operator.  All technological aids must be located at the
station control point and must be contained entirely within
the prescribed limits (e.g. "500 ft circle")."

It's time to get past the technological bigotry.

73,

     ... Joe, W4TV

***************************************
>> Decoding of Morse Code Elements transmitted by other stations in
>> thecontest and the use of Skimmer like devices.
>>
>> X Category: Use of electronic device(s) that decodes or extracts
>> the
information contained in the Morse Code Elements transmitted by other
stations, including the call sign, and presents that decoded information
to the operator(s) in any visually readable or spoken form or
automatically inserts that decoded information into the electronic log
is NOT ALLOWED... The operator(s) IS required to mentally decode all
Morse Code Elements transmitted by other stations.
> I can still do the decoding, but I defy any one to read it if I have
> to write it down.<:-))
>> Y Category: Use of electronic device(s) that decodes or extracts
>> the
information contained in the Morse Code Elements transmitted by other
stations, including the call sign, and presents that decoded information
to the operator(s) in any visually readable or spoken form or
automatically inserts that decoded information into the electronic log
IS ALLOWED... The operator(s) is NOT required to mentally decode all
Morse Code Elements transmitted by other stations.

>> Rule X does not preclude impaired persons from using a vibrator
device or flashing lights or similar devices to represent the Morse Code
elements transmitted by other stations as long as the decoding of those
represented signals is done mentally by the operator and not by Skimmer
like devices...