Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns...again.

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Baluns...again.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:07:57 +0000
Stan,

I have  had exchanges with G0KSC about errors on that page where he
describes the Pawsey Stub, as you will see from his recent additional
note in red.

In particular:

1) It is *not* the differential-mode Velocity Factor of the coax which
is relevant when calculating the length of stub required. Here's the
explanation I gave Justin on his discussion forum - see posting #131:
http://www.g0ksc.co.uk/g0ksc-forum/2-antenna-discussions-here/122-pawsey-stub-error.html?limit=6&start=6

The issue was also addressed experimentally here:
http://www.hamradio.me/antennas/coax-velocity-factor-part-2.html#more-1528

2) For best stub operation the CM impedance looking along both "paths"
back from the feedpoint should be the same; that argues for using the
same coax for the stub as the main feedline.

73,
Steve G3TXQ