Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp tool for cable ends
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:37:15 -0500

On 12/29/2010 9:04 PM, Dan Evans wrote:
> Thanks for all of the tips!
>
> I haven't decided if I will take the plunge myself, or try to persuade
> the club to purchase one.  It may be a bit difficult to get it through
> the OF network of the club...
It's a good investment and typically a small part of the station cost.
OTOH we don't see many typical hams using them as they make so few
connections.  In my case I have (or had) 5 runs up one tower with 10
connection in reach run.  That is 50 connectors. Add the second tower,
tribander and possibly the WARC 7,  all interconnecting cables between
rigs and amps and I'm easily some where between 75 and 100 connectors.

 From an economic standpoint they hardly make sense for 5 or 10
connectors, but they sure are nice for installing either N or UHF
connectors.
 From the typical ham operating on a shoestring, it would be very hard
to justify.  A good crimper with a complete set of dies to cover every
thing from RG-58 to LMR-600 it'd make a good club purchase as long as
some one took responsibility for keeping track of it and the dies.

73

Roger (K8RI)