Re: [TowerTalk] 1980s Cushcraft A4

To: <mikflathead@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1980s Cushcraft A4
From: "W7RIS" <w7ris.arrl@softgoals.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:59:19 -0800
I believe you have the predecessor to the Cushcraft A3S, it?s a ATB-34. If
you do some searching on the web you can find a manual on this older
antenna. If you need support or parts from Cushcraft for the antenna, forget
it. I?ve had no luck getting any level of support from Cushcraft on my old
ATB-34.

The feed line connection on this antenna is problematic. There are 2, ¼?
bolts that are threaded through the black insulating material and jammed
into the driven element tubing. This is not a good way to connect RF to a
driven element. Suggest using stainless rather then brass hardware. On one
of the bolts I could not get a good electrical connection to the driven
element. I finally drilled out the leading side of the tubing. Used a longer
bolt that would jam against the back side of the tubing. This seam to
provide a reasonable electrical connection.

Good luck,
Mike ? W7RIS