Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
From: Michael OBrien <k0myw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:36:28 -0800 (PST)
The Surgex protectors are pricey, but I've managed to acquire some off that
dreaded internet auction site for a fraction of retail.

You have to be patient, but occasionally a NIB unit will come available and can
be had for $100, or even less.

I have found that the models that are designed like most consumer surge
protectors -- that is, a box of outlets on the end of an extension cord -- tend
to be pricier because, I suppose, they are the easiest to deploy.

The best buys are the ones in NEMA utility boxes designed to protect an entire
15- or 20-amp circuit. The rack-mounted ones favored by the pro audio crowd
also tend to go for less.

I first was alerted to the Surgex units when mentioned on this forum a year or
so ago, and it's taken me several months to accumulate all the ones that I
think I'll ever need.

Just don't be put off by the auctions that start out at list price or
thereabouts. Bide your time and bargains can be had.

Mike K0MYW