[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Problems
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:23:37 -0500
 May years ago I read about an engineer (who else would do something like
this?) that were splitting rocks with heat. He drilled relatively small
diameter holes in rocks and inserted an soldering iron. After a short time
(don't remember how short but something in minutes) the heat from the iron
expanded the rock and crack it.

Drilling a 1/2" hole in grant with a mason drill is relatively fast (if you
keep the drill sharp. Done that!) If you drill a number of holes in a straight
line I believe you can split that rock fast and not without a lot of
hard/sweaty work. I believe the hole diameter should be a little larger than
the soldering iron you are using. I don't know how bad it is for the iron.
(Maybe you should try with something cheap from RS.)

Hans - N2JFS