Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Close call with death
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:48:20 -0500
On 1/15/2011 4:34 PM, K2VI wrote:
> Post hole digging to install the pipe in ground for the 43' zero five
> vertical. I disregarded the 1.5 inch fence post and used the scedule 40 1.25
> I.D gavanized pipe. When digging i was about 38" down when i hit something
> hard. Hit it a few times thinking it was a root. Well i realized it was
> probably a rock and reached down and dug some dirt out to find out it was an
> orange heavy plastic pipe about 1" 1/8 .
Although the color could be either fiber or GAS, 1 1/8" sounds large for
either. Black is likely water.  Digging into a gas line is dangerous,
but normally deadly. OTOH it can be very expensive but not nearly as
expensive as paying "time and material" to splice a fiber optic trunk.
The $3000 some one mentioned could sound like a bargain basement price
if it was a fiber trunk and that doesn't take into account the possible
fines and LEGAL action.  The one thing for certain would be receiving
the bill for fixing said problem.

NEVER, EVER dig without having "Miss Dig" or whoever checks out
underground lines come in even if it's just planting a tree.  They may
tell you they are not needed but that's a lot better than hearing, "You
should have called!" after the fact.

73

Roger (K8RI)