[TowerTalk] Homebrew Radial Ring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Radial Ring
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:37:40 -0900
>Every time this topic surfaces I'm rather amazed that no one uses the
>circuit breaker box ground bus bar extensions sold at places like Home
>Depot.

>They're designed to be essentially weatherproof,

I used this technique some years ago and found the metal "slugs" they use
in the bar strip start rusting out very quickly, and this is in an area where
we don't experience much rust.

They may use better quality metal for the screws now. I would expect
others had this problem as well or this would be the obvious fix for
radials.

I use copper bar stock bent into a triangle that goes around a Rohn 25
insulated base vertical. The bar stock is drilled and tapped for screws
to hold the solder lugs of the radials. Copper pipe bent in a circle with
the wires soldered to it or even those bronze grounding clamps holding
the wire ends would all be better then buying an expensive  "patented"
radial plate.

73 Rich KL7RA