[TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:16:48 -0500
Has anyone had any experience with compression-type PL-259s?  I haven't
had any in my hands yet, but they appear in places like the Farnell
catalog in the UK, and use a compression scheme similar to compression
Type N connectors, which seem to be much more common.  I would do almost
anything not EVER to solder another PL-259 braid connection, and my
experience with crimping other types of connectors, such as type F, has
been miserable.  What got me started on this today was that I just
bought a compression tool and some connectors (F and BNC) at Lowe's
today and the F connectors, at least, seem to work quite well - very
positive physically and seem sound electrically.  I realize the
compression scheme for the larger connectors is different, but anything
would be better....

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com