Re: [TowerTalk] HDR-300A info

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDR-300A info
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:59:08 -0500
On 1/29/2011 11:53 AM, Mike & Becca Krzystyniak wrote:
> Hi Daryll,
>
>      I have a HRD-300 here and been using it steady for nearly 30 years.  The
> rotor itself has been 100% reliable, but the 4 turn pot and the limit
> switches, a.k.a. the "micro switches" are prone to become flakey or fail.  I
> have had to replace one or more of these every 3-4 years for various
> reasons.
>
>     On the 1K-4T POT, just take a ohm meter and check the resistance from
> wiper to each end.  Either the wire to the wiper has opened up or one end of
> the POT has failed.  If the POT is okay the issue is probably one of the
> chips inside the display.
>
>     On the turning issue, it sounds like maybe one of two things. Where I
> live it is not uncoommon for the limit switches get some dust in them and
> they start sticking.  Some contact cleaner or WD-40 works well to free them
> up.  The other possibility is that you have somehow slipped past the stop
> (this can heppen when a limit switch sticks).

Or if the brake is released on a windy day.  This array
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm  would take the 300
past the limit switches unbelievably quick on a windy day. As I operate
regardless of the weather I had to go to rotators that didn't require
brakes. (double worm gear drive)

73

Roger (K8RI)