Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?

To: jari.jussila@oh2bu.pp.fi, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 04:56:23 EST
Jari, what is so special about the bad potentiometer that it defies
substitution?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/31/2011 2:42:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jari.jussila@oh2bu.pp.fi writes:

I have a rotatable tower some 40m away from my ham shack.  The old,
faithful tower rotator was hit in lighting and the potentiometer
telling the direction of my antennas was burned. The rotator being an
old, industrial model, the factory told me that there's no such
potentiometers available any more .......

Now ....

Does  anybody know, if there are (commercial), potentiometerless
wireless  (tower) direction indicators available in the market?

1) With  "potentiometerless" I mean, that the direction should come
not from a  potentiometer at the base of the tower but with some other
means. Eg. a  electronic compass at the end of a one meter stick
assembled horizontally  on one of the tower diagonals a couple of
meters above the  ground.

2) With "wireless" I mean, that the electronic compass - or  whatever
device - should transmit the direction by WLAN from the tower to  the
ham shack to a separate display to directly to a computer having  WLAN.

I hope I could describe the need good enough. I'm looking for a  easy
plug-and-play-system, easy to assemble, easy to use and reliable. And
getting rid of  some cables.

There's 230 volts available at  the base of the tower.

Any ideas?

Jari,  OH2BU