Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?

To: jimlux@earthlink.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless tower direction indicator?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:49:43 EST
Jim, many thanks for the tips! Linx has two way rf modules listed and that
will allow direction control as well as remote direction sensing.

I can see the possibility of installing a rechargeable battery and
photocell charger at the rotator to get rid of using a power cable to  rotator.
That  will require use of a dc type motor but most are that  type anyway.

My cable is over 700ft long and overdue for replacement after more than 25
years. At the price of copper today, the replacement cost will pay for a
lot of  wireless hardware.

In addition, I bet the lightning induced failures are much improved.

Thanks again/73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/31/2011 8:14:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:

On  1/31/11 5:57 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Scott, that sounds like a  great idea!
>
> Now, how can one add wireless transmission to get  those pulse back to the
> shack? I need capability to transmit pulses  over a distance of about 600
> feet?

wireless  doorbell?
garage door opener?

There are a variety of wireless RF  link modules available too...
Ranging from garage door opener type things  to full-on wireless network
connections.

Velleman has kits.
Linx  Technologies (http://linxtechnologies.com/) has thing like "remote
relay"  boxes as ready to go modules (they're big into Part 15 modules of
one sort  or another)