Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......
From: "Rroger (K8RI on TowerTalk)" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 07:56:55 -0500
On 2/3/2011 7:02 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> The humble G5RV antenna was invented not long after WWII by the
>> multitalented Louis Varney (SK), intended as a cheap and cheerful compact
>> all hf band antenna. In those days the hf bands were 10, 20, 40 and 80m.
>> The
>> 15m band had not yet been opened to the amateur service...
> It would be interesting to review the source article by Varney, entitled "An
> Effective Multiband Aerial of Simple Construction," RSGB Bulletin, July,
> 1958, pp. 19-20.  By 1958, the 15m band should have been open as it had been
> created in 1947 at the International Radio Conference of Atlantic City.

There are two stations within 3 miles of me using G5RVs. dimentioned for
40. On 40 meters I easily work stations with a sloping, center fed, half
wave dipole they can not hear and I apparently have a bit more noise.
OTOH they can work 80 and 20 as well where I have to go to a different
antenna.

73

Roger (K8RI)