Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Musing on G5RVs, baluns et al......
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:59:02 +0000
I don't know where this "ham myth" comes from that the original G5RV was
just a 20m antenna! Varney's original article published in the RSGB
Bulletin, July 1958, is entitled "An Effective Multiband Aerial of
Simple Construction". In the first paragraph Varney explains that:

"Operation on 1.8Mc/s and 3.5Mc/s was an important requisite, but
efficient operation on 7, 14, and 28 Mc/s was also required"

In the same article he also discusses how it operates on 21Mc/s

How can people read that, and then claim that the original G5RV was
"just a 20m antenna".

Steve G3TXQ