[TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet
From: "J. Dolson" <jdolson@laconic-designs.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:06:29 -0500
Dear Gentlemen,

I've googled and checked the TowerTalk archives but have been unable to find
and answer to this question.

I would like to put up a square 80m horizontal loop at a height of about 35
feet.

ENVIRONMENT AROUND THE ANTENNA:

1. Because of horseback riding on the property, I am unable to use guy
wires, therefore the four towers supporting the loop must be free-standing.
2. There are no trees or other supports in the field.
3. The soil is heavy clay.
4. Maximum wind gusts during the past ten years have been 65 mph.
5. The only times that people are in the field are for horseback riding and
mowing.

QUESTIONS:

1. I have several 40 foot lengths of 4" diameter aluminum irrigation pipe.
If they were to be filled with cement and dropped five feet into the ground
would it be stiff enough to stay vertical?

2. If that is not feasible, then could I fill say a 15 foot length of pipe
with cement, drop it 5 feet into the ground, and attach a guy wire to the
top of the pipe?  That would put the guy wire up ten feet and away from the
horses.  The disadvantage of this is that I now have eight obstacles in the
field for the horses to avoid instead of four.

3. If idea of using the 40 foot irrigation pipes is dumb, then are there any
other inexpensive tower options other than phone poles (phone poles are
currently Plan B).

Thank you for your consideration.

Jim Dolson, K8DDV
Grand Rapids, MI