Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wmgoins@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:03:49 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2011 5:58:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I can't imagine that being a good  idea.

    Well, it is and contractors do this kind of thing  everyday (assuming
the suitability of the existing concrete).

>  The base that was original extends into the concrete via a  welded cage
or
the attachment to other tower (which does the same thing)  and is then
bolted
to the tower.

    The base and the rebar cage are two different  scenarios. The rebar
cage is to keep the concrete from cracking when it cures.  The anchor bolts
don't have anything to do with the rebar cage. Typically they  can be secured
to the rebar cage but that's more for convenience than for  any engineering
reason.

    And the rebar is NOT welded.

>  I would be surprised if you could drill holes deep enough  to
manage the stress of windloading with just a simple bolt replacement  into
epoxied holes.

I don't remember the  engineering term, but after a certain length - any
more anchor bolt doesn't do  anything. Imagine an anchor bolt a mile long -
only the first 18" or so actually  do any of the work.

        And like I said previously,  the epoxy is stronger than the
concrete so what's not to like?!?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -