Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base

To: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Old Base
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:21:40 -0800
I posted this earlier but it didn't make it through, here goes again.

If it is guyed tower then epoxying in anchor bolts should be a good solution
provided they are sized properly.
If it is a self supporting tower it is a different ball game and it would be
wise to have the tower connection
to the concrete footing reviewed by a structural engineer.  There is tremendous
stress exerted on the anchor bolts
of a self supporting tower.  If the tower is 70 feet high, visualize a 70 foot
pry bar pulling on the anchor bolts.  The anchor
bolts are a critical part of the footing design.  The anchor bolts for my self
supporting tower are 1 1/4" dia by  3 1/2 foot long J bolts with a 6" hook on
the end end cast in the concrete.

73,
Bob
K6UJ