Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:24:16 -0600

> That's an excellent *joke*.  Only a very small portion of the boom
> length of a log-periodic is active on any one frequency typically
> around 25%.  This leads to the log periodic having more than 3 dB
> less gain that a well designed yagi of the same boom length.

As someone who is considering a smaller HF antenna for the cottage, I find
this discussion quite interesting.

I'm struck by Joe's assertion regarding LPs. And I say that only because if
you compare F12 gain vs. Steppir gain, they seem quite similar for antennas
of similar boom length. And when you adjust Steppir's and F12's dBi to
compare to Tennadyne's dBd, again, they all seem within a hair of each
other. And then you add in the raves that Tennadyne gets from owners, even
from relatively knowledgeable owners not given to self-aggrandizing their
purchases, and I still seem to lean towards Tennadyne's combination of
performance, F/B, price and simplicity.

(I say all this fully cognizant that advertising is advertising and that
figures lie and liars figure, but even Steve has said Steppir and F12's gain
figures are relatively trustworthy. I also concede the advantage of tunable
elements.)

I haven't bought anything yet, so I'm still open to discussion, but keep in
mind that in my case, the budget is NOT unlimited.

73, kelly
ve4xt