Re: [TowerTalk] Cable noise (?) on UST crank up

To: towertalk@contesting.com, richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable noise (?) on UST crank up
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:01:59 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2011 12:01:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  My UST HDX-5106 makes "popping" or "creaking" noise  when
being raised.  (Mainly raising, only occasional noise is
heard  going down).  It seems to be from the cables being
stressed, just  going by the sound.  I frequently raise the tower to
a particular  point half way up.  Less frequently, I raise
it all the way up.   The tower is quiet up to half way
up and starts making noise above  that.  By exercising it
more in the upper elevations, it has gotten  less noisy.
The last 5 or so feet has been problematical, sounding
like  something was going to seriously break down or bind.
Whatever the noise is  (hard to describe, you would have
to hear it), it seems to be specific to  which sections of
the cables are going over the pulleys.  I am  wondering if
I need to use cable lube to get rid of the noise.   Is
cable lube actually a lubricant or just a moisture  displacement?

    Umm, cable lube. Maybe it lubes cables?

The cables get dried out so what you're  hearing is the strands rubbing
together under load. The bearings are  sealed ball bearings and make no noise
that I'm aware of. You couldn't lube  them anyway.

    Crank-up cables move. Things that move need to be  lubricated
occasionally. Champion Radio sells PreLube 6 which is recommended  by wire rope
manufacturers.

    I've done dozens of crank-up PM's which consists  mostly of spraying
the cables with PreLube and using a grease gun on the Zerk  fittings of the
cable transmission system.

    Most towers make noise. When I'm done with a PM,  they typically are
quiet. Very quiet.

>  The tower is 15 to 20 years old (guessing, I didn't buy it  new).
Should I be replacing the pulleys?

    Not unless they are rotating eccentrically or  binding at some point.
Many times you can't see the pulley turn so you can't  easily verify that
they're turning like they're supposed to. But I'll bet you  a nickel that after
you've done the cable lube, the quietness of the tower  excursion will
convince you that the pulleys aren't a factor.

    BTW the inner legs are lubricated with wax at the  factory to
facilitate sliding the horizontal sections back and forth  easily as it's being
assembled. There really isn't any way to lube the legs of  a standing tower so
don't even bother. There may be some noise from the legs  rubbing but it's
typically inconsequential. Spray the legs too if it makes you  feel better but
it really isn't necessary. OTOH your cables should be done  annually at a
minimum since the lightweight cable lube will dry out/run off in  the rain in
a few months..

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH