Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band dipoles

To: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band dipoles
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:57:34 -0700
I don't buy it.

a.  I didn't want to bring up the topic of corona noise and rain static
since I consider those to be fringe effects.  Besides ... as far as
corona effects are concerned I don't think there is any benefit for a
folded dipole that a wire dipole with a small loop of equivalent radius
of curvature at the ends (such as would naturally occur at an end
insulator) wouldn't have.  Can you explain why there would be?  Both
antennas would have the same impedance at the end for any particular
frequency.

b.  Symmetry isn't the issue.  Seriously ... how do you figure a TFD is
more symmetrical than a standard doublet??   Both require a balun to
properly couple to coax anyway.

Dave   AB7E