Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band dipoles
From: "Perry Ogletree" <k4pwo@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 00:28:09 -0500
Well stated... I have and use a "custom" extended BWD-90 (now at 200') for
Ham/MARS.  The BWD-90 falls off fast below 4 MHz. and becomes more and more
a true dummy load.  The BWD-180 is good to 2 MHz. before it starts falling
off and the extra 20' in my custom version will keep it going through 160
meters. I have the antenna mounted in NVIS mode with the apex at about 40'
and the ends at 15' so the pattern is basically omni-directional. It is NOT
my main Ham antenna and is used more for MARS and MARS-ALE where you are
scanning 5 channels per second from 2 to 30 MHz.  It works, as Joe states,
well for a frequency agile antenna with regional coverage.  I doubt it would
work worth a flip as a DX antenna though I have had the occasional DX
contact on it. I use it with a TS-480HX for ALE (at 100 watts) and with my
TS-2000 and TL-922A for voice.
These antennas have their place but they aren't for "barn burning" by any
means.

73 de Perry - K4PWo