Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2300 Info wanted

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2300 Info wanted
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:54:19 -0600
> I recently bought an old Orion 2300 rotor.  It works fine and I have the
> "book", such as it is, but it is pretty vague on details.  I found the pin
> functions of the main cable to the motor in a Green Heron user manual but
> there is also a DIN connector on the back of the control box.  No
> information is provided in the Orion book.  I assume it is for some kind of
> remote control capability like some of the Yaesu rotor control boxes have.
>
> Does anyone have the pinout information for the Orion 2300 DIN connector?
> Maybe even a schematic of the control box?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Randy, W7HR
> Port Orchard, WA

   The DIN connector was for an external preset control that to my
knowledge never made it into production. The control box has a switch on
the front that is labeled 'Manual' and 'Preset'. I still have an OR-2300
in use although the control box long ago bit the dust.

   Here is the schematic for the controller:
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/K0GU/K0GU%20MISC/OR-2300ControlBox.jpg
If there was a schematic for the rotator I don't have it. But it is the
typical AC motor setup, limit switches and a 5k pot for direction
indication.

73,  Jay  K0GU