Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radia

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical with 1 radia
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:28:56 -0700
We could also design circuits by trial and error instead of calculation,
we could mix chemicals by recipe instead of formula, and we could design
towers with complicated wind loads by guesswork.

Antenna modeling software doesn't take all of the uncertainty out of
antenna building, but it does a MUCH better job than someone's anecdotal
experience under uncontrolled circumstances.  Besides, I've learned way
more about antennas by modeling something to see the radiation pattern
and current distributions than I ever would by trial and error out in
the field.  In my experience on this reflector, the only folks who sneer
at antenna modeling software like EZNEC are those who are too lazy to
learn how use it (it's free, after all).  You go ahead and build stuff
that feels good ... the rest of us will be building stuff that works good.*

By the way, Bill Orr was a gift for many of us who needed decent antenna
designs before modeling came along, but much of his writings have since
been proven by both theory and practice to be sub-optimal.

Dave   AB7E

* Yeah, I know the proper word to use there is "well" instead of "good",
but it wasn't as catchy.