[TowerTalk] HD-73 Rotor Brake Issue

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HD-73 Rotor Brake Issue
From: Tim L <w0kan@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:47:26 -0500
I have an Alliance HD-73 rotor that was used to turn a small attic mounted 6
meter antenna for several years and then stopped working.  The rotor has never
been installed outside, only in the attic and appears to be in generally good
condition.

I got the rotor down and hooked it up on my bench and could hear a humming
sound from the rotor but it doesn't turn.  I borrowed a second control box from
a friend and had the same result.

I opened the rotor up and it appears that the small nylon brake does not lift
up to release the rotor.  I can manually raise it up and the rotor gears start
turning, when released it drops back down in place and stops the rotation.

I'm uncertain what is supposed to release or lift the brake.

Has anyone had any experience with the HD-73 that can offer any feedback?

Also yes I'm aware of Norms repair service. I would prefer to save the repair
bill so that I can buy more fun stuff like antennas.   :)

thanks
73
W0KAN Tim