Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <wa2puq@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 18:37:08 -0400
There is another aspect that hasn't been mentioned here regarding handling
antenna downfeeders;

Being a member of Sky Warn, I've heard about the possibility, no, the
probability of a lightning strike happening ten or more miles away from a
storm.  With no warning, unless you have a dedicated receiver (lightning
detector) running.  Taking the chance of doing such a disconnect at the
advent of a storm is... well... just a "little bit" dangerous.
It cannot be predicted and I'd hate to be the friend or relative of the guy
who looses the snap-kaboom lottery.

Stan