Re: [TowerTalk] Another Ground Radial Question

To: "Kshaddrick" <kshaddrick@jetup.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another Ground Radial Question
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:08:58 -0700

> Somewhere in the distant past I read that the radials of one antenna
> cannot overlap those of another. Is this really true? There are some folks
> who indicate that if the radials are insulated it shouldn't be a problem.
> My issue is I have an existing vertical installation within radial range
> of a new tower installation. I plan to shunt feed the tower and if I can't
> overlap the existing radials from the vertical antenna, that will leave
> quite a wide area with no radial coverage for the shunt fed antenna
> (basically from east through south to the west, the vertical sits in the
> south east and the house covers the rest).
>
> Kelley - W0RK

Antenna Engineering Handbook by Jasik says -

" Individual ground systems are required for each tower of a multielemnt
array . If the individual systems would overlap , the adjoining systems are
usually terminated in a common bus."

Under fig 20-16 showing radial systems for a two element array - It goes on
to state " The adjoining systems  do not overlap but are terminated in a
common bus."

 E.A. LaPort's Radio Antenna Engineering shows the exact same situation .

Good enuff for me ,

73 de Hank K7HP