Re: [TowerTalk] Best source lmr 600

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best source lmr 600
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:21:47 -0400
On 6/13/2011 12:55 PM, Jerry wrote:

I've dealt with Steve (Davis) and never had a complaint. They were
always willing to hunt for things I needed if they didn't have them.
Tools, connectors, cables. Prices have always been competitive and
service is outstanding.

Although prices have gone up a bit, LMR-600 is not much more expensive
than 9913 was when it first came out and that was years ago. IOW that
stuff was really expensive back then.

I replaced nearly all the cables here with LMR-600 with the exception of
rotator loops and the lines from the remote switches to the sloping
dipoles which are now Davis BuryFlex(TM) because of the very rugged (and
slippery) jacket.

I would suggest staying away from the Ultra flex versions of the LMR
cables as they are UV sensitive and wear easily.  OTOH if you need the
most flexible cables, are careful, and plan on replacing them every 10
years (or sooner) they are very flexible.  Also a royal PITA to use
regular strippers as the jacket will slide on the braid and bunch up.
Plain old box cutter works fine for cutting and stripping the UF versions.

73

Roger (K8RI)