Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator problems

To: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator problems
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:49:31 -0400
> I don't believe the inverter is the problem. The rotator is rate at
> 85 watts. My old inverter was a 100 watt model, and my current
> inverter is a 400 watt continuous / 800 watt surge. So it really
> shouldn't be much of a load...

I'd bet that the issue is the inverter, no matter how "stout" ...
The AR-40 uses a very simple voltage comparator to control the
motor; the reference voltage to the comparator is not regulated in
any way.  With a capacitor phase shift motor and less than clean
power, there will be considerable overshoot in the motor as well
as a DC shift in the comparator operating point as the motor stops.
Both of these contribute to your "hunting" problem.

As you have already discovered, the solution is supplying "clean"
power - unless you want to completely redesign the control system.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV