[TowerTalk] Radial length question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial length question
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:25:28 EDT
Hi Guys,

I'm at a portable location setting up for Field Day.  One of our  antennas
will be a 40-meter 1/4 wave ground mounted vertical... with  a good number
of radials under it.

The soil is very poor: 6" of sand with gravel under the  sand.  About as
bad as possible for a Vertical.

Common 1/4 wave Vertical theory often states things like: "radial  length
does not effect a Verticals  resonance when the vertical  is ground mounted".
 However, I am finding in with this super  poor ground conductivity QTH
that the 1/4 wave Vertical wants 1/4 wave  radials in order for the Vertical to
resonate anywhere close to where it  should.  (with odd length radials, the
Vertical's length must be changed by  several feet)

With the above in mind, with this super poor ground  conductivity, the
ground mounted vertical behaves more like a Ground  Plane antenna.  I must
assume this is normal when you have about zero  ground conductivity.  Is that
how
you see it?

73,
Dick- K9OM