Re: [TowerTalk] Need a mast for my tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need a mast for my tower
From: "km5vi" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:54:39 -0500
Be careful in considering aluminum as a mast material.  Whereas some
aluminum alloys offer an attractive yield strength, many do not exhibit an
ultimate strength with much margin over yield (a.k.a. toughness) as compared
to carbon steel.  The results can be catastrophic - the mast breaks
relatively soon after reaching the point of bending when subjected to
excessive strain.  This is not necessarily a problem if the proper factors
of safety are maintained, but is something to be aware of.

73 es GL

Matt
KM5VI