Re: [TowerTalk] New Radio or New Tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Radio or New Tower?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:08:57 -0400
On 7/14/2011 4:55 PM, Bill wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I own an Icom 7600 and a Zero-Five 43' vertical.
>
> I would like your opinion. Do I trade in my Icom 7600 and buy a Yaseu
> FTDX-5000D

The 7600 and 5000 are both great rigs. "I think" about the only thing
you'd gain is the 5000 has dual receivers so it can operate on any two
bands while the 7600 has "dual watch' meaning you can tune around on the
same band with the second VFO.  I've not had a chance to use the 7600
which is the successor to the 756Pro which I do have. I also have a
Yaesu FTDX5000MP which I also like. In my case I leave the second
receiver on 50.125 to monitor six meters.

>   or should I buy a tower and beam and put that up. I think the tallest tower
> I can put up is 50' due to being close to an airport.

The question is: How close to the airport and are you off the end of any
runway and if so, how far?
There are "on line" FAA guides as to location Vs airport that will tell
you how high you can go and if you will need FAA permission. Also are
there trees around you? Unless you are really close you can normally go
as high as the trees plus about 20 feet but this is location dependent.
I'm just inside the Final Approach Fix (FAF) for the GPS06 approach to
the local airport. I could go to about 190 feet without permission, but
as I live on a 200 X 200 foot lot, set back rules limit me to 100 feet
of tower.

> Also I live near Chicago, who can I get to help install the tower?

With that part I'm afraid I can not help.

After all that, "My choice" already having the 7600 would be tower and
antenna with no hesitation.
Then build up that YC156, 4CX3000A7, or 3CX3000 <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)