Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-supported tower designs
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:23:04 -0400
On 7/14/2011 3:38 PM, Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking to build a self-supported tower for my HK1H´s station.
> The tower could be around 25 meters high. Four sides
> Thinking in something like this;
>
> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_umpsa6tUB2I/SoPi1PjpbtI/AAAAAAAAABk/9DQ2BrH3jek/S660/PANORAMICA.JPG
>
> or this one;
>
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/383631062_89cc03d2f0.jpg
>
> What I need is a design layout to know what size pipes to use.
> Anyone knows where can I found them?

I missed the two lines above when I read this  before.
Reading them I respectfully make the following comments and no
disrespect is intended.

25 meters is a tad over 81 feet (81'3" to be specific).  This is getting
into heights where many things such as material/alloy/strength, design,
and weld quality become quite important as to the weight and wind load
the tower will safely handle.

I respectfully suggest that you do some studying of materials and
engineering and maybe consult a mechanical engineer about the project.
When you get to the point where you know what strength, size, and design
you need for this project you will be able to pick a size tube and cross
bracing while knowing the strengths of these materials.  Without being
able to do that, I'd not undertake something of this magnitude.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)